ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu tablet

I already run Ubuntu 11.10 in a "chroot" of Android on the Nook.   But I
just want to overwrite Android with a decent linux.
I also already using a modified Ubuntu with KDE & the Plasmoid Widgets on
my 10 inch ExoPC tablet.   But its Atom n450 based and not ARM.
In both cases Ubuntu worked well.   Multi-touch even works.    From what
Canonical has told me quite a bit of effort has gone into ARM for 12.04
release in April.

Several Distributions are working hard on ARM support now but here's the
web info from Canonical:
ARM Processor

ARM is a processor architecture used in a variety of applications, such as:

   - Handheld Computers (Nokia n900, n95, etc.)
   - Network Devices (Genesi Efika MX Nettop, Wyse T50,
CompuLab<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompuLab>
   TrimSlice <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrimSlice>, etc.) Project development
   boards (Beagleboard, Pandaboard, Quickstart, etc.)
   - Subnotebooks (Sharp Netwalker, etc.)
   - Netbook/Notebooks (Genesi Efika MX Smartbook, Toshiba AC100, etc.)

Ubuntu targets the ARMv7 and above Application Processor family (Cortex A8,
A9 and above). Currently the archive supports ARM EABI, with an expectation
of minimum compliance with the ARMv7+VFP ISA. Where possible Ubuntu targets
the Thumb2 <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/Thumb2> instruction set.

Limited support for earlier instruction sets (ARMv5t, ARMv6) was available
in early releases of the ARM port (jaunty, karmic).

Status

   - Much of the application porting is complete
   - Installation images are available for selected boards
   - kernels for a variety of sub-architectures are available
   - Much of SMP validation complete
   - Continued porting and optimization is underway

Current Images

ARM Team

   - OMAP: Texas Instruments OMAP <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAP> page
   - Tegra (AC100): Thosiba AC100 Nvidia Tegra
2<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100>page
   - IMX53 QuickStart <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuickStart>: Freescale IMX53
   QuickStart Board <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/iMX5> Page
   - Server images (for OMAP3/4 so far)