ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Gestures based on accelerometer/gyros

Hi,

You might know the iPad has "shake-to-undo" gesture. I've been thinking that we should be able do at least similar, maybe lots better!

We could have many kinds of gestures based on movement & position:
- shaking
- pick device up
- putting it down
- putting it down face down
- nudging from sides
- and lots more..

I think this might have a good potential on enhancing the user experience, if it would be properly integrated to Unity etc.

I did some quick checking, there is some academic research on the subject, and I believe this could catch on quickly if done properly and generally enough. I thing the research activities could be a good starting point to generalize the API and have a good library, maybe someway related to uTouch stuff.

There is however a big technical challenge on Linux kernel side. There is none whatsoever standardized interface to accelerometers/gyros/magnetometers etc. All the drivers are all around the kernel, some in hwmon stuff, some in someplace else. It probably needs a new input device -like category. This means lots of work, but IMHO it has to be done in any case sooner or later.

This topic is kinda multi-disciplinary - at least tablets & other mobile devices (Ubuntu phone, anyone?). Maybe table/mobile side could be a driver for this kind of activity. But please forward to who/wherever this may concern!

//HS

Follow ups