[RSS reader] Saving offline

Hi everyone!

During the RSS hangout today, we talked a little bit about saving offline,
and there are some interesting questions we should consider.

If the app currently saves all the articles in the reader's stream into the
local database, how is the app affected if:

   1. The reader subscribes to *a lot* of feeds.
   2. The reader has used up a lot of storage on his phone (storing music
   and videos for example).

Could the user run out of space in the scenarios above? What would happen
in that case; would you prioritise new articles and chuck out old ones? I
guess that would be fine as long as your history has an acceptable size,
although it might be confusing for a user if the app sometimes saves 2 days
of history, and sometimes 2 hours if there is not enough space on the
device.

Imagine the reader with a lot of subscriptions. His feed stream is more
like a tsunami. He skims the article headlines very quickly and only opens
a small percentage to read the first paragraph. Even fewer articles he
saves to read in full at a later stage. Perhaps headlines are more
important than the entire article? As long as a user has not saved an
article, I think it is fair to assume we have an internet connection
available to load the article. Or perhaps it could be a mix of online and
offline depending on the amount of available storage.

It would also be good to know whether we can technically save articles
offline including the images. If it is not possible for version 1, it would
still be useful to let users bookmark an article so that they can easily
find it back later. As long as we use correct wording to clarify
functionality to users ('bookmark' vs. 'save offline').

Let's talk more about this soon. Really looking forward to try out the
reader! :)

Thanks,
Lisette

Follow ups