Re: [Design][ubuntu-emailclient-app] WIP - Concept design

Hi Valerio,

Many thanks for taking a look at this over the weekend! Are these mock-ups
or are they 'real' qml? If the latter, it would be good to get them checked
into a branch for people to poke at.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Valerio Ponte <valerio.ponte@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I tried to design the UI to be as clear and conformant to Ubuntu design
> principles as possible, but please keep in mind that I am a developer so
> I'm very open to suggestions and modifications.

Great, I've replied inline. Note: I am not a designer :)

> Anyway, the first screen which is presented to the user is the
> following (main view from now on), which display the list of the incoming
> emails:
>

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=d3ab7a7008141ed95921af387f5bc5b2

The "Email client" tab along the top might be better used for specifying
which account you're currently looking at?

All email -> Personal account -> Work account.

This of course presumes we have multiple account support in the
application. I know many people like to "switch off" from work out of
hours, and being able to swipe away to the personal only mail tab during
the evening/weekend may be compelling for many. The "All mail" will of
course show mail from all accounts, merged in one date-sorted list.

> By pressing on a message the user opens it on a second page:
>

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=8ca2c02e99a866c91e3a7e54ee54c8de

I like having everything but the content hidden. I'd imagine in this one
the "Email details" tab at the top would show either the subject or sender.

> The toolbar on the 'mail details' view shows common actions that can be
> performed on emails, like respoding and forwarding:
>

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=d5ac3d13c4f210d89c08ca40ad9999ad

You could also add "delete" "mark important" "archive" in there, similar to
the way you have them in the next screenshot.

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=6c381960d1157d53a2789ab8f52b9ee3
>
> The action buttons are common actions that can be performed on a group
> of emails, like deleting and marking them as important:
>

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=f4feafed91bf3c98c5fc0abf96d56995

> This is the part that I'm least sure of. I'm starting to think that
> actions related to a group of emails should be kept separated from the
> actions in the toolbar that involve only the mail client itself, maybe
> with a topbar in the list that appears only when emails are selected and
> shows the actions as button, what do you think?

I think we should have a conversation with the design team :)

> The last screen I have is the settings view, which basically is just a
> list of settings for now:
>

> https://2.233.208.136/public.php?service=files&t=f4feafed91bf3c98c5fc0abf96d56995

I think you mistakenly duplicated a URL there. This is the same as the
image above.

> This is basically where I am at now. The open points are:
>
> 1. view used to compose a mail. I think it should have 3 fields always
> visible: To, Subject, Message; CC, CCN and Attachments should be made
> visible with some sort of expansions.

Agreed although I'd try to omit or combine fields where possible. For
example the CC and To fields could be merged until clicked because in
general, most of the time I don't think most users care whether a mail is
sent to them or cc'ed them, unless they really want to know, in which case
they can expand the field.

> 2. Important mail view: I'm not sure if it should be a separate view or
> the same main view that has a transition where the non important email
> disappear and only the important ones collapse on each other.

I can see some value in having an "Things I should really look at soon"
view, whether that's "important" tagged mails or some other heuristics
which figures out what's important I don't know.

> Anyway, what do you guys think? Feel free to comment and point out
> obvious things that I missed.

Looks pretty sane as a first pass.

> Also, the images are hosted on my personal OwnCloud instance, if they
> don't work for you don't hesitate to say it so that I will move them
> somewhere else.

While scary for some, it's fine by me.

Lets see what other feedback we get, and see how we might hook these up to
functional backend components to demo.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope