Re: [Webbrowser] Problems on Downloads

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM,  <wolle3@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!

Hi Lukas,

> I'm using the Nexus 4 with Ubuntu Touch.
> I am hosting a seafile server with webinterface. If I use Firefox everything
> is working fine. But I have two problems on downloading files with the
> Webbrower of my UbuntuTouchPhone:
>
> First Problem:
> Right now I have not registred my SSL-Certificate, so I have to confirm with
> "proceed anyway"; Then I can access the homepage without problems. But if I
> try do download something from this homepage, the download shows in download
> manager, but it does not start. Copying the downloadlink via rightClick and
> selecting copy Link, then opening the Terminal and typing "wget
> www.link.de/file --no-check-certificate" works pretty fine.

The browser delegates downloads to UDM, the Ubuntu Download Manager. I
guess UDM doesn’t allow bypassing certificate checks. Not sure whether
that could be considered a missing feature, but feel free to file a
bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-download-manager/+filebug
to request it anyway.

> Second Problem:
> I tryed turning SSL off and using my server without SSL. When I click on the
> Download link direktly, then choosing the app for opening, the Download
> aborts because of Http400 Error. This could be because the Download token
> from the server are working just for one time. Nevertheless, if do
> rightclick on the download link and select "save as", the download works
> pretty fine.

If the download token works only once, then the issue is with how
downloads are handed off to the download manager: when clicking on
such a link, a request to the server is issued, which invalidates the
link for subsequent requests. The headers from the response to that
request are then passed to the download manager which will initiate
the download by issuing the request again, and the first request
initiated by the browser is cancelled. That’s indeed a bug in how
downloads are handled in the browser, but I’m not sure what to do
about it. In any case, please report it at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+filebug.

> So may there are two bugs in Webbrower app?
> The first is, that on untrusted homepages the proceed anyway button does not
> affect downloads?
> The second is, that downloads by "direct clicking" and using the "save as"
> option are handled differently?
>
> If nessesary I can provide a temporary download link for testing the issues.
>
> Thank you!
> Lukas.

Thanks for the detailed report!

Cheers,