Re: Import queue for Karmic

Hi Arne,

У пон, 29. 06 2009. у 13:47 +0800, Arne Goetje пише:
> seems imports for Karmic have started. \o/
> So, a big congrats to the Launchpad Translators Team for getting
> message sharing into place! :)

Thanks :)

> Now, regarding the Needs Review stuff in the import queue:
> I have blocked already a big chunk of which I know that we definitely
> don't want to have it in Rosetta. The rest would need to be reviewed
> carefully.
>
> Some things we definitely put on the block list:
>  * po4a templates
>  * debconf templates
>  * manpages
>  * all kind of "testing", "test" or similar templates
>  * help/*.pot templates

Depending on how formal you can make this, we can put this into our
auto-approver as well.  I.e. we let it try to auto-approve things, and
if it doesn't do it, we check if it needs to block it (using something
like a list above, but of course, a bit more specific :).

> Now, I know everyone is eager to get the Needs Review queue down to
> zero. :) But, please before you jump into it and start approving, I'd
> like to point the Launchpad Translation Team to the queue
> https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+imports?field.filter_status=NEEDS_REVIEW&field.filter_extension=pot
> and ask them to provide some input to the following questions:
>
>  1. It appears that several templates appear multiple times in this
> queue, because there have been multiple uploads already. Is this
> really necessary, or would it be possible to only list the most recent
> upload?

Sometimes packages generate multiple POT files in the source tree.  We
can't know if they are exactly the same templates without parsing them,
and even if we could, how would we decide which one is in the right path
to look into in the future?  (note that auto-approver works using the
path)

>  2. Several templates in this queue do already exist in the database
> (e.g. gnutls, coreutils, vim, ...), but these templates didn't get
> auto-approved. Why?

If you take a look at the path of coreutils template in Karmic or
Jaunty, you can notice how it's listed as some very ugly nested path:

https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/coreutils/+pots/coreutils/+admin

(note that only Rosetta admins can see this page; sorry to everyone
else)

Basically, you need to approve such file with a new, correct path, and
in the future it will be auto-approved.  Again, file path is used for
auto-approving entries.  I decided not to fix the path myself because I
don't want to touch on your turf guys :)

>  3. When blocking .pot files, the associated .po files still remain in
> the Needs Review queue. Would it be possible to move them over to the
> Blocked queue, so that we can actually find out if some .po files stay
> behind even when the .pot files have been imported?

I thought auto-approver picks those up later and blocks them as well.
If not, it's likely a bug, though I can now see almost 3000 blocked po
files in the queue as well.

Cheers,
Danilo