Re: Debian-installer and Ubiquity translations

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 06:57:19PM +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> У сре, 15. 07 2009. у 19:29 +0300, Adi Roiban пише:
> > Are there any changes for Karmic in the way we handle debian-installer
> > and ubiquity translations?
> >
> > As far as I know all .pot files involved in the Ubuntu installer are
> > aggregated into debian-installer (installer-po/template.pot).
>
> Colin wanted to do some changes here (actually split templates up).  I
> guess you should include him in the CC as well.  Some work might be
> required on LP side as well.

Right, see https://answers.launchpad.net/rosetta/+question/76370. As
Danilo says, I want to change this in the Karmic cycle but haven't done
so yet.

> > There are a couple of .pot files for ubiquity. Should I deny them?
> > https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/ubiquity/+imports?field.filter_status=NEEDS_REVIEW&field.filter_extension=pot

Those particular .pot files should all be denied, because they're simply
automatic copies of things already translated elsewhere, and we're not
going to update them independently.

> > Also, maybe we can remove the template name from "debian-installer" to
> > "ubuntu-intaller". What do you say?

Sorry, I'm not going to do that. The package is called debian-installer
and I'm not going to effectively remove credit from the Debian guys by
renaming it, nor am I going to confuse myself and others by making the
template name not match the package name.

> > Can I disable the current template for ubiquity?
> > https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/ubiquity

No, please leave that enabled - that contains the .desktop file
translations which aren't merged into the aggregated debian-installer
template. This is just the same as it's been in prior releases.

> > Also, do we use the iso-codes translations made in Launchpad? I remember
> > that the debian-installer is using the upstream version, and not the
> > translations from Launchpad.

I don't think anyone is updating the package to contain these at the
moment. iso-codes indeed isn't subject to language packs because the
installer needs to use its translations before language packs are
installed.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]