Re: ecryptfs

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Adi Roiban <adi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that the i18n support is still in work and only available in the
> trunk and was not releases.
>
> Here is a hint  :)
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ecryptfs/ecryptfs/ecryptfs-utils/revision/438#debian/changelog
>
> I have added Dustin at the CC and I hope he can tell us more about the
> ecryptfs-utils.pot file from the ecryptfs project in LP.

Sadly, I'm still mostly ignorant about translations integration.

I've tried multiple times to get translations/internationalization
into my daily upstream workflow for both eCryptfs and Byobu, and in
both cases I get frustrated.

I did my best to gettext the strings in all of the strings in the
shell code and scripts.  I think this now generating the strings to a
pot file.  I fought with Launchpad translations to get this loaded.  I
still haven't figured out how and if the foreign text strings are
getting inserted into the package when I build it.  I think Byobu is
mostly working.  It doesn't look like eCryptfs is working at all.

Ideally, someone would come along with a patch that adds i18n support
into my projects, and I'll merge into the upstream code, and abide by
that process from then on.  I really want to focus on what I'm good,
the functionality and debugging, and enlist the help of a translations
expert to get my projects to the point where they're ready to be
translated.

As an aside, I'll mention another barrier to translations, from my
perspective...
 * https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/436828
I'm particularly annoyed when I get bugs filed against my packages and
the logs and error messages, etc, are in a foreign language.  It makes
it very difficult for me to triage and solve the problem.  I totally
understand that errors should be reported to the user in their native
tongue.  But when the logs get sent back to me, as a developer, I
really need them in English if I am to solve the problem.

Thanks,
:-Dustin