Re: Software Center Help Translations

El dt 23 de 02 de 2010 a les 19:23 +0100, en/na Milo Casagrande va
escriure:
> Hi all,
>
> I was monitoring this bug on Launchpad:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/439353
>
> Basically, software-center hadn't the possibility to translate its
> manual. Now they have set thing up, but we probably still have a
> problem.
>
> How are we going to deal with those translations? Should we contact
> software-center developers and see if they have already thought about
> that?
>
> We can probably use Launchpad, but we need to talk to the developers
> anyway in this case, since translations have to be exported manually
> and at a certain time.
>
> What do you think?

Hey Milo,

Thanks for the heads up.

I had a quick chat with Michael Vogt and suggested him to integrate the
help file with ubuntu-docs. This would give the benefits that:

      * Translations would be more visible to translators, as they'd be
        in the Ubuntu templates list at translations.lp.net/ubuntu
      * They'd be shipped as part of ubuntu-docs, and integrated in the
        package's workflow (i.e. translations would be built before
        NonLanguagePackDeadline)
      * This will make it possible to ship only the translations in the
        user's locale (as opposed to all translations). Now ubuntu-docs
        are part of language packs.
      * It would be consistent with what other Ubuntu applications do at
        the moment with documentation (e.g. usb-creator)

Michael told me he hadn't any strong view for one approach or the other,
so I suggested I'd contact the documentation team to integrate the
documentation in ubuntu-docs.

Before I do that, what do you guys think?

@Kyle: I know this does not facilitate the task of integration of the
docs for the OEM team, and that the preferred approach would be to ship
documentation separately. For Lucid though, we haven't got a plan for
shipping documentation translations separately in language packs on a
single application basis. Therefore I think the safest for now is to use
the current approach of ubuntu-docs, since we know translations will be
built there, and we won't have to check with every application
maintainer that translations are manually exported and integrated into
the package before release.

Regards,
David.

--