Re: Bug tag for string-freeze-exception

Hi Adi,

El ds 17 de 04 de 2010 a les 18:27 +0300, en/na Adi Roiban va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Lately I was a bit busy with other work and I didn't have much time to
> read all the ubuntu-translators emails.
>
> Since string freeze exceptions requires fast feedback, I was thinking
> that maybe if we can add a "need-string-freeze-exception" tag to bugs,
> then I can create a special email filter for them and they will be
> highlighted among the other bugs reaching my inbox.

Yes, using a tag for that sounds like a good idea to me.

> The lack of feedback from translations regarding string freeze
> exceptions looks to me like a real problem, and I am sure we can do
> better in help/support translators in this process.

Actually, I think we've always had feedback from at least a couple of
translators on this cycle whenever I asked on the list (*).

In my opinion, the problem still remains in those freeze breaks being
properly announced from maintainers. While I'm optimistic and I've seen
an increase of such e-mails from maintainers on the translators list, it
is difficult to track the freeze breaks if they go unnoticed.

> Also, maybe we can blog about this string exception to get more feedback
> and attention.
> I can imagine that not all translators are technical and they don't
> follow bug reports or mailinglists.

I agree on the last part, but I'm not too sure we should be blogging
about string freezes. I think after sending a reminder if there hasn't
been any feedback, there should be enough active people on the mailing
list to reply.

That's the other thing. Unlike GNOME, where the background from most of
us comes, we haven't got a documented procedure to ACK/NACK freeze
breaks, and I think sometimes translators might not quite know how to
acknowledge or reject them. We've sort of been doing it this cycle when
I was asking for +1/-1 answers, but still we don't have a formal
process. Perhaps we should add such process to the policies or document
it something else. The important thing for me is to transmit to
translators that their voice will be heard, and that they can speak up
if they think a string change should not be applied or rejected.

I also find your other proposal on microblogging an interesting one.

> I put this issue as a topic for the next meeting, but maybe we can
> discuss it via email.
> What do you think?

Yeah, I see you've added it to the next meeting, great. I'd like to have
a meeting as soon as possible before UDS, and I'd like to schedule it
for this Thursday (the 22nd). I'll update the date and I'll announce it
once I've added the other topics I'd like to discuss.

Regards,
David.

(*) Apart from the last one on Ubuntu One client the first time it was
posted some weeks ago, which I myself missed in the confusion of whether
it had been pushed or not :/

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator