Re: New locale

Hi Siarhei!

On 2020-06-26 00:01, Сяргей Снапкоўскі wrote:
Hail to Ubuntu Translations Coordinators team.
i welcome You.
Name`s Siarhei.
My occupation is translator (specificaly, from English to Belarussian
(Taraskievica)).
User of "Linux Mint" with "XFCE" graphical environment.

I have a request:
Could You please add new locale "Belarusian (Taraskievica)" with
"BCP47" code "be-tarask"?
Thanks in a advance for Your help.

Ubuntu (and probably also Linux Mint) makes use of the locales provided by glibc, so a request for an additional locale should be made via an upstream bug report:

https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=glibc;component=localedata

But with that said, I can't help wondering about the reason why you would need it. There are already translations of Linux software into Belarusian, and the be_BY.UTF-8 locale is present.

Are you thinking of establishing a second Belarusian translation variant of Linux software using the Taraškievica orthography? If so, have you considered which huge undertaking that would be? Are there enough Belarusian (Taraškievica) translators available for such a project?

Not saying it can't be done; just advising you to think twice before moving on.

--
Cheers,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj