Re: [Question #249805]: Can Gothic be added to the languages?

Question #249805 on Ubuntu changed:

Gunnar Hjalmarsson proposed the following answer:
Hi roel,

I just got sight of this old question.

You should keep in mind that translating Ubuntu is not only about
Ubuntu. It's about translating free software for Linux, i.e. a huge
undertaking.

AFAICT Gothic is a language with no native speakers today, and I have to
question how useful it would be. A basic requirement for adding a
language to Ubuntu is the presence of a related glibc locale, and no
such Gothic locale exists. So there is where you would need to start:
Creating a Gothic locale and have it accepted by the glibc maintainers.

So yes, in theory it's possible. But would there be enough translators
to translate tens of thousands of strings (at least) into Gothic and
then maintain those translations when software is upgraded or replaced?
And how many users would find it useful to have menus and windows
displayed in Gothic?

My initial response would be: If you are interested in reviving Gothic
somehow, doing it through translating Linux software is probably not the
best way to reach out to the enthusiasts in question. If you think I'm
wrong, please feel free to let me know in a comment here.

Regards,
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

--
You received this question notification because your team Ubuntu
Translations Coordinators is assigned to this question.