New Year's Resolutions

Hey Ubuntu folk,

First off, Happy New Year! Hope you all had a great 2008. With 2009 finally
here, it's time to set out a list of resolutions.

First off, we haven't had a (IRC) meeting in a very long time. While these
generally aren't the usual "get down to business" meetings, I still think we
should check in every now and then to see where we are at and where we're
headed. The following items could be discussed at a meeting, or even right
here over this mailing list.

Bugjams[1]: this was tossed up around September, but we never really got
around to it. The next big Global Bug Jam is the weekend of Feb 20-22. For
those interested, a bug jam is a session where we meet up at a location
(Panera, library, or even just IRC) and go through the process of triaging a
bug. This is a great start to getting directly involved with Ubuntu. The
best thing about it? You don't have to know how to package, program, or have
any kind of status. All it takes is a little reading and you're on your way
to helping out. The 5-a-day[2] program is another great way to get started,
and even maps your progress with team leaderboards[3].

Also coming up in April is the release of 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope. Still
plenty of time to discuss any plans for a release party somewhere.

An interesting note that I read on another mailing list: Don't get too
worried about having to plan massive events. While release parties and Ohio
LinuxFest are excellent things to attend (and I absolutely think we should
continue these) note that the smaller things are just as important. Even
things as simple as filling out or triaging bugs, giving support online or
elsewhere, or just raising awareness of Ubuntu in your community are great.

That said, I know I haven't been very active within the LoCo either. School,
projects, and the never ending search for college scholarships have been
taking up most of my time. To help remedy this situation, I've created an
organizational group (ubuntu-us-oh-council) to be set as the team contact.
While anyone previously set as a team leader could always set up meetings,
events, etc directly, this makes it a little more "official." Might make
some more changes to the layout of the team, this will be discussed shortly.

Feel free to discuss any of the items listed or anything new you might want
to add. When replying, be sure to hit "Reply to All" to be sure it gets
copied to the mailing list.

Let's make this an awesome 2009!

Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net