Re: Linus Torvalds versus GNOME 3

IMHO:

People hang onto their old ratty security blankets. I've been using GNOME 3 since Fedora 15 released on my work computer and I've fallen in love. The architecture hasn't changed significantly, and it's actually much more keyboard friendly. While more minimal in terms of the point and click interface, they've hung onto all the old backend flexibility. I've found that it appeals more to the low level mentality, which kind of eschews choice of desktop environment for the gears that keep it moving anyways. I don't expect the hullabaloo to last, especially in the Torvalds crowd.

I think the issue people have is the interface change. Resist change. The power of linux isn't in the graphical shell and there's no reason to shy from a very thoroughly developed, clean, and inevitably pervasive solution regardless of all the well thought out but functionally skin-deep changes it's made. This is what appeals to "users", which I'm quite comfortable labeling myself as such. Fluxbox will always be the outsider, the alternative. It exists to be faster and smaller than the big ones (which certainly has its place), but it doesn't have the functionality to compete with the bigger alternatives. Weather the storm, and the more cantakerous members of the community will move onto the next target and quietly slip into line. And it'll definitely help wooing the masses from the OTHER GUYS to have something that looks modern and "cool". And hey, it's wonderful on the inside too.

(Unity's pretty sweet too).

Peace,

--
Evan Wilson <evanjameswilson@xxxxxxxxx>