Ubuntu 11.10 Sound Oddity on Asus Eee 1001P

I've had a weird behavior on my Asus Eee 1001P running Lubuntu 11.10

The sound works OK through it speakers. When I plug in speakers or
headphone, though (and I've tried several of each), the sound cuts out
entirely when it's plugged in, and only gives some sound and some hum
when it's partway in, suggesting that only one channel is being
addressed in the audio connection. I was afraid that it was a hardware
problem -- but when I boot into Windows 7, the sound works flawlessly,
so it would seem that the hardware's OK.

I've looked around the Web for solutions, but haven't found anything. Any clues?

--
Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

Follow ups