An Update in Notes

# Ubuntu Ohio Leader Notes for 2013-05-17

## Continuing Attacks on freenode

Prior to the start of the recently concluded Ubuntu Developer Summit many saw freenode become subject to Denial of Service attacks.  I first noticed such on May 11th.  There recently has been a [blog post made](http://blog.freenode.net/2013/05/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/) explaining the situation on freenode's administrative side.

As a bit of a contingency I am encouraging members of Ubuntu Ohio to update their Launchpad profiles by editing their listed Jabber (otherwise known as XMPP) IDs so that we have a bit of a roster there.  We may end up considering a fall-back XMPP Conference Room if freenode hits heavier pockets of turbulence.  For now the implementation of that conundrum is left as something for us as an interesting hypothetical to consider for the moment.  Anybody who has ideas about how to implement such an XMPP Conference Room is encouraged to edit <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/XMPP> on the Ubuntu Wiki Infrastructure to further collaboration.

## Podcast Resumption

The two week suspension of *Burning Circle* should be wrapping up this week and a new episode is expected to be released on Monday, May 20th.

## Ubuntu Developer Summit May 2013

The proceedings of Ubuntu Developer Summit May 2013 have concluded and I urge you to view the resulting YouTube videos created from the various Google Hangouts.  One thing that was noted was that having this happen at the same time as Google I/O was a bad thing.  The Xubuntu folks held some parallel sessions and [published a blog post with summaries and an outline of their work plan for the Saucy Salamander cycle](http://xubuntu.org/news/looking-towards-xubuntu-13-10/).

If this scheduling pattern continues the next summit should be held in August 2013.  That will place it one month before Ohio Linux Fest 2013.

## Ohio Linux Fest 2013

I have received a communication from Robert Ball concerning getting a table at Ohio Linux Fest 2013.  I would like to deputize someone in our community located outside Ashtabula County to sign the contract for such and to handle that matter.  Please contact me directly at skellat@xxxxxxxxxx and we can discuss the matter.

An offer was received from Jorge Castro [during a UDS session](http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cNiDCNirzvs) to bring in some people to assist with presenting an UbuCon.  I still encourage members of our community to think of what they would like to present as we will get close to my issuing a call for topics.  I do **not** currently have confirmation that space is available yet for us to do this but will be following up with Ohio Linux Fest organizers.

## Ubuntu Ohio Projects For The Saucy Salamander Cycle

As a community we have three or four projects to consider during the Saucy Salamander cycle.

1. Consider the creation of a fall-back XMPP Conference Room
2. Prepare for Ohio Linux Fest 2013
3. The Ubuntu Advocacy Kit
4. Mentoring & Shepherding Community Members To Become Ubuntu Members

The first two items have been dealt with above.  Jono Bacon and I engaged in a [colloquy during an Ubuntu Developer Summit session](http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PkAiP2-BfUQ) about our community perhaps assisting in the development of the Ubuntu Advocacy Kit.  Jono discussed further [on his blog](http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/05/16/getting-the-ubuntu-advocacy-kit-to-1-0/) about the need for help with bringing the kit to version 1.0 and provides some basic instructions on how to get started.  If there are community members who are interested in participating please follow the directions and dig in.  If we need to spend time going over the mechanics of contributing using Bazaar, please let me know so that I can schedule an educational session.

The last project matter is one that I am taking on which is to help mentor and shepherd members of our community through the process of attaining [Ubuntu Membership](https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership).  Across the planet there are only 784 Ubuntu Members [in the relevant Launchpad group](https://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers) at the time this is written.  I want to help people grow in the community and become increasingly responsible for its growth and maintenance.  This is an important step.

## AND FINALLY...

NewsChannel 5 WEWS in Cleveland [reports that the State of Ohio's average unemployment rate dropped by one-tenth of one percentage point to seven percent](http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/state/ohio-unemployment-rate-drops-slightly).  The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services has a press release [posted](http://jfs.ohio.gov/RELEASES/unemp/201305/index.stm) which provides a break-down of where employment shifted between March 2013 and April 2013.  A table showing the changes by industrial group [is also posted](http://jfs.ohio.gov/RELEASES/unemp/201305/NonagEmpTable.stm).