ubuntu-za-maties team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: The Google OS announcement

I must say I find the concept of a web-based OS such as Google Chrome extremely exciting and a natural next step in OS technology.

However, one has to keep in mind that the bandwidth and latency requirements of the Internet connection needed for running such an OS is not present in many parts of the world.

Here in SA a (usually shaped) ADSL service with a 1GB cap per month still costs R150-R250 month. Speed is also an issue. The National University of Lesotho got a 4MB/s line to share for the entire university.

In such environments an OS such as Ubuntu works great, as the repositories of nearly all the software one would like to use can be mirrored on the local network (e.g. campus or business), and distributed locally for no cost to the user. From there one can mirror and sync a personal repository (~28GB for Ubuntu) onto a (now fairly affordable) portable hard drive.

Still, one can not disregard the enormous potential of running applications online (especially the collaborative aspects for me personally).

I believe what is necessary is an OS framework that allow applications to be run on the WWW if desired, but that can also be easily hosted on local networks within a university or business (in a similar manner to how local email servers work). I guess Google Wave is a step in this direction, as it allows locally hosted Wave servers that can communicate with other servers globally. Furthermore, it should also be possible to host and run the applications on a personal computer. Applications can then be "synced" when or if a connection to a larger network is present. Opera Unite is an interesting approach where the web server itself runs inside the browser.

-Helge