Re: [Question #76151]: how to use wireless network

Question #76151 on network-manager in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+question/76151

wp66 proposed the following answer:
Hello,

The following works every time for me with my Broadcom card and running
Ubuntu 9.04....

extract the b43-fwcutter tarball and build it:
wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
tar xjf b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
cd b43-fwcutter-011
make
cd ..
Use version 4.80.53.0 of Broadcom's proprietary driver.
Download and extract the firmware from this driver tarball:
export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod
sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-011/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o

Note that you must adjust the FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR path to your
distribution. The standard place where firmware is installed to is
/lib/firmware. However some distributions put firmware in a different
place.

Good luck!!