Re: [Question #76177]: tried to install ubuntu, wouldn't show up

Tom posted a new comment:
Lol, we really shouldn't be trying to fix a Windows problem in here! lol
With Xp i used to find that i could often find a missing "dll" through a google search or copy it from another machine running Xp.  Try a google search for "uxtheme.dll" and then try to find where to copy it to in Vista.  In Xp it was often something like C:/Windows/system32/drivers/cache
or something like that.  I think Vista is quite different tho so i'm not sure this technique will work.  I gues it's worth a try tho.  If you do have a Vista OS cd then you might be able to boot it into recovery mode although my experience of Windows "recovery" is that they tend to wipe everything so make sure you copy all the data you care about keeping to an external hard-drive or cd/dvds

As for Ubuntu i think you are having a completely different problem.
Windows working or not shouldn't influence your Ubuntu LiveCd session!
Please let us know the specs for your machine, eg 700MHz cpu, 512Mb ram
15Gb free-space on the Hard-drive

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)