[Question #76522]: Occasional Black Screen then Login "Again"

Although I have the login and password disabled (the system boots right up to the desktop), occasionally and without warning a black screen filled with text will appear with the last entry saying something about checking battery state even though this is a desktop PC. It does not seem to be related to anything I am doing and often happens when I am simply reading the screen and not even touching the mouse. The only way to get out of it seems to be Ctrl-C which then gives me a screen asking for login and password when it never needed it before. Once entered I am taken back to the desktop but anything that had been opened no longer is. It is quite frustrating, especially when data is lost because of it.

When rebooting or shutting down, I also get the login screen and the only way to actually do what I wanted is to use a new lower left menu to ask it AGAIN to do the task that it should have already been doing. Again, very frustrating but possibly related to the above, which is why I am mentioning it here.

I am running the latest Ubuntu and all apps are up to date as far as I know with Jaunty 9.04 with Gnome 2.26.1, build 5/6/2009. Updates do not seem as frequent nor are they automatic as they were in prior Ubuntu version so I am never sure if the system is totally up to date or not.

"Applications->System Tools->Report a problem..." icon does nothing by the way.

Don