Re: [Question #76637]: Partitioning a dual boot UNR/XP for Asus 1005HA

thantus proposed the following answer:
Hi,

I will show how I do it with my computer, but note  it can be done in different ways ...
You can do something like this(but you have to delete sda2):
/boot(mount point) on ext3(4)(primary partition) - 200 MB- put boot-loader here not to override MBR
/ on ext3(4) - 20 GB(more or less)(primary partition) - mandatory
swap  - partition ( better 2*RAM)( can put on extended partition)(For extended partition - first you have to create an extended partition - if not exists - on the rest of available space and then place logical partition in the extended partition ... swap will be logical partition made over an extended partition - let's say 40 gb on extended you can split into logical swap - 4gb ; /home on ext3(4) - 10 gb and also can have another NTFS logical -10 gb ..)
and also can do /home on ext3(4) - 5 Gb(more or less on extended partition). Note - you can have max 4 primary partition.With this you can have both Windows and Linux.
But note, you have to check how your partition table came ...
If you win_d is on extended partition and if you try to deleted to recreate other's it's possible to delete also "sda4" and maybe "sda3"(so take care - this is if you choose to delete "extended partition") ... in this case maybe it's better to install linux on "NTFS" (it should work - let ubutu to be install automatically on windows free space - if it allow - "D" better to be free )....Even if sda2 is on extended partition you can "deleted" the sda2(logical sda2), and recreate partitions.I say once more,please take care what you deleted( you need to deleted "logical sda2" - NOT EXTENDED) and do the same partition with-out /boot( I'm not sure if you put boot-loader on extended partition it will actually boot), and override boot-loader from MBR(sda1).But with boot-loader on MBR - when you try to reinstall windows also you have to rewrite boot-loader(windows rewrite it, and you have to put it back to have linux/ubuntu option ...).

Also,it's better to read Ubuntu docs about install ...

Good luck !!!