[Question #76656]: update Manager does not open

New question #76656 on update-manager in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/76656

E: malformed line 54 in source list/etc/apt/sources.list ( dist parse)
E: sources cannot be read.
Go to the repositary list dialogue to correct the problem.
E: cache-> open() failed
please report

This is the error message i get when trying to open update manager. there is now a NO ENTRY sign on my browser tool bar, if you click on this. the above error message is shown, I have the latest upgrade in ubuntu ( is this jaunty) ? do for give me I am new to this although used ubuntu for quite a while .

So the update manager will not work untill this problem is solved.