Re: [Question #74437]: grub loading error 18 frozen screen

Question #74437 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/74437

shan proposed the following answer:
well i suffered that too   AND IT FREAKED ME BIG

then i reloaded the the ubuntu 9.04 disk and after a few attempts i
opted for the full install since by then i had already messed my xp i
think

and it worked beautifully

of course i do not have xp anymore  but for me that was the point so if you feel you want to surrender xp this might be the way forward

hope it helps    shan