Re: [Question #76665]: Cannot Install Ubuntu 9.04 on Hp Touchsmart tx2

Tom proposed the following answer:
I still think the 32bit desktop edition is the best one to try.  Err
have you tried booting up from the Cd and tried the option "Try ubuntu
without making changes to this machine", that should get you to a
working desktop which we call a LiveCd if it works

Almost all versions have this option as their default option when you boot up from their installer cd and it's a good way to check that all your hardware works easily with the distro you've chosen.  Sometimes if you find one that works you can use the xorg.conf from it to get other distros (eg Ubuntu) to work. I personally would recommend trying Wolvix Hunter and Knoppix as they are each from different families of linux and both have quite good hardware detection
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wolvix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix
i'm not suggesting installing either of them, just try out their LiveCd session to see if one of them works.

Another thing worth trying is changing one or more of the boot options, particularly the acpi settings
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

These two pages might be some help too
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/boot-troubleshooting.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/boot-parms.html