[Question #76714]: Manual unmounting of busy hard drive volume

Hi,
I have just wiped windows and installed Suse and Ubuntu on my laptop. As a newbie I kind of prefer Ubuntu. The problem I have is that Ubuntu cannot install its latest updates due to lack of space on my home volume. (/dev/sda4)
I need to change the size of this volume and I am using Gparted but the Umount option is disabled.
I tried to unmount the subsequent volume /sda5 mounted within /sda4 but it would not allow me saying:

"The partition could not be unmounted from the following mount points:
/
Most likely other partitions are also mounted on these mount points. You are advised to unmount them manually.

I tried to do this manually with sudo umount /dev/sda4 command but still gives me the message that the device is busy.

How can I resolve this?  Would appreciate your help/suggestions on this.
Thanks.