Re: [Question #76099]: seamonkey browser 1.1.17 downloaded file location not found

Question #76099 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/76099

Tom proposed the following answer:
I thought you said you had Windows and openSUSE before you installed
Ubuntu, also in the partition editor there was a Windows format "fat32"
of 39.9Gb

   /dev/sda6 fat 32 39.99GiB 20.03GiB 39.98GiB lba

it looks like 20.03 Gb of that is being used fo something and so i thought it had Windows installed.  I guess that partition just has data?  Fat32 and even ntfs (the more recent Windows format) is often less stable than ext3, which is the usual ubuntu format.  It's not something to worry about right now.  The important thing now is that we know you can use nano quite happily.  We will need to delete the uncommented Windows lines from menu.lst soemtime, and also the duplicates of the lines
howmany=2
colour cyan/blue white/blue
but we don't need to worry about that right now.  The more crucial task is to solve the "unresolved host" problem.

Ok, so please reboot your machine into recovery mode and choose the
"Drop to root shell" option.  This should give you a command-line only,
no nice gui desktop.  So in there type

cd /etc
ls hosts.110709

to make sure it shows you that the file "hosts.110709" is there.  I'm
sure it will show up but if it doesn't then please just skip to the end
of this post to reboot & then let me know.  Assuming it is still there
(you showed earlier that it was) then continue with

gedit hosts

and copy what's in that file into here for us to have a look at. I think
the first 2 lines will look something like this

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 elcot-laptop

although it should also be ok if it has

127.0.0.1 localhost elcot-laptop
127.0.1.1 elcot-laptop

I think it shows the first one if you are part of a network and the
second one if you don't ever connect to a local area network (Lan).  So
if the 2nd line is different from what i've shown then it might be worth
correcting it straight away, if you feel confident in being able to
change it back through the "recovery mode"-"drop to root shell" method
again.  Hopefully tho, it should work straight away and after saving the
file just either get back to the command-line and type

reboot

or

shutdown now -a

or else just reboot the machine some other way.  Note that the recovery
mode always gives you SuperUser/Root privileges so you don't need to use
"sudo" at all.

I hope this helps!
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)