[Question #76773]: Desktop crashes on startup

I am running jaunty on a dell d620.  Everything was running fine, including compiz.  I made some changes through the gnome interface to add more effects.  Since then, after I login, the desktop starts up but the moment I mouseover any menu items, black boxes start to appear and the desktop becomes completely unusable.  I switched to the command line console and restarted gdm which allows me to operate on a different display console.  I have tried removing and reinstalling compiz with every method I could find.  No use.  If I leave compiz uninstalled, I am missing window titles and I cannot move windows or switch between them.  I have tried to get back to where I was but I am not having any luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

When I run compiz --replace, this is the output:

Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1440x900) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: present.
Software rasterizer detected, abortingaborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity