Re: [Question #76673]: I cannot change my "Visual Effect" to "Normal" from none.

Question #76673 on compiz in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+question/76673

Steven Danna proposed the following answer:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you will be able to get desktop effects
working with that card.  I've done a bit of research on the card and
have found that both the openchrome driver (the one you are likely
using) and the driver from Via have had problems with 3D acceleration.
(3D Acceleration is required for desktop effects) I have also been
unable to find confirmation of somebody getting 3D acceleration to work
with Ubuntu 9.04, however, there are people who seem to have it working
with earlier versions of Ubuntu.

Since I am not familiar with your card and since I don't have one with
which to test directions, I'm a bit hesitant to refer you to any
specific set of directions I have found.

The directions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UniChrome seems
fairly straightforward.  If you follow them, be aware that
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace no longer restarts the X server, so you are better
off just restarting the machine.