[Question #76805]: audio and video problem

i got a linux disc of ubuntu 9.04 by ordering and thanks for that i love it. i am a 19 hour computer user daily in windows. now i like to turn to linux. but as i am first to linux i am suffering a lot of problems. one the major problem i suffer is by installing ubuntu or any other versions of linux, am not ablr to play audio and video materials and i alwasys like to work on computer by hearing songs and often i love to see certain videos to play. this is actually irritating me. sometimes they ask me to plgin or upgrade or so and i allow it to do so. then it automatically download and install things and still the problem in playing video and audio is there. why is it? please help me. i like to study the things included inside the linux and like to be a programmer in linux also developing my own softwares in linux and so. where can i find the study materials and so.

my computer is intel 2.4 ghz, celeron motherboard, 80 gb HDD and 512 mb RAM.

the files are all working in windows