[Question #76854]: Ubuntu cannot detect that I am connected

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 on my intel compaq presario.
I have properly configured Internet on the system using a sony ericsson W810i having EDGE/GPRS connection and included the proxy settings.

However, them problem is that "firefox is the only application which is able to connect to the internet".
All other applications like pidgin etc. are unable to connect.

Even the Sypnatic Package Manager is not able to connect to the internet. I have tried the options in the sypnatic manager by selecting both "direct connection" and "manual proxy" but none of them are working.

The computer also reports that "Mobile Broadband Connection 'loop mobile EDGE' active" which is correct.

Please help me out of this.

-Thank You