[Question #76908]: Sound is muted and level 0 at startup

I have an Nforce 2 chipset with a Cmedia onbord soundcard.  In past versions of Ubuntu, I have sometimes encountered problems with the sound, and had to configure it manually, but it seemed to load fine in 8.04.  Upon doing a fresh install of 9.04 Jaunty, the card seems to work ok, except for one thing; at startup, the sound is muted, and the PCM levels are at zero. Each time I start my system, I must manually set the sound level, and then it works fine.  Anyone have any ideas?