[Question #76918]: How can I use Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01) with 9.04?

Ive recently installed 9.04 desktop version on my mini 1000 after trying 8.10 and 9.04 nbr.  I am able to connect to ethernet, but I believe there is some problem with my wireless driver

i am using Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

when i install, i get a message that i am using a restricted driver, so i tend to believe this is the source of my problem.  i am unable to find any wireless networks in the area although they certainly are there..

I would very much appreciate if someone could (in simple n00b language) provide me some assistance around how to trouble shoot these problems.  i have read many things online but i cant seem to find anything that can help me.  once i get this sorted, i can start on getting sound!