[Question #76983]: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

I am in the process of building a Nagios server.  I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server selecting the defaults.  when it came to running the Nagios configure script "./configure --with-command-group=nagcmd" I get "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".  I checked to make sure gcc was installed and I also ran "sudo aptitude install build-essential" just to make sure I had a compiler.  I still get the error...  any Ideas?