Re: [Question #76983]: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Ben Larisch gave more information on the question:
OK, I just ran "sudo aptitude install build-essential" again this is what I got.  I don't think it installed...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "build-essential"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "build-essential"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependence tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

after seeing this I ran "find / -name gcc" and it returned "/usr/lib/gcc
I would assume this means that gcc is installed and I should be able to compile but...
thanks in advance I am fresh to linux and your help in much appreciated.