[Question #76987]: smartmontools package needs mailserver?

New question #76987 on smartmontools in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/smartmontools/+question/76987

I was wondering my smartmontools requires me to install a mailserver like exim or postfix. I understand it has a daemon that monitors your drives continuously and can notify you in case of problems. This makes sense on a server, but not on a desktop system. I just want to run the smartctl tool once and done. No need for a mailserver daemon running all the time.

Marcel