Re: [Question #76926]: Uninstalling Ubunut 9.04

Tom proposed the following answer:
Ok, i think that if you are using the Ubuntu that you installed then we
should be able to sort something out from there.

We need to boot into Windows before we can "fixmbr" to point at just the
Windows partition (sda2).  The Xp cd should be able to boot into a
recovery mode that would help with this but i tend to find it tries to
reinstall (and hence wipe the Windows partition, and perhaps the whole
drive) so i would be wary of that option.  To get into Windows from
Ubuntu we are going to need to edit the menu.lst and to do that we need
to have some free space.

So, on the top taskbar click on "Places" and if you do have a folder
called "Documents" there then open it.  Click on it's "View" menu and
make sure that "Status bar" is ticked.  At the bottom of the file-
browser window that's showing the Documents folder should  be a status
bar which should show how much free space you have in Ubuntu right now.

If the status bar showed "0 bytes" or if the "Documents" folder wasn't
in the "Places" menu then we should be able to clear some space by un-
installing some heavy applications.  On the top taskbar click on

Applications - Add/Remove Applications

and use the search tool to find "OpenOffice" (all one word) untick all
of these and then click the "Apply changes" button.  After this a reboot
might restore some normality, and put things back in the "Places" menu.

Now in the terminal console the "Change Directory" command should let us
get into the grub folder (GRand Unified Boot-loader).  Try typing (or
copy & mouse paste)

cd /boot/grub

the "cd" command should let you change directory now.  Please let me
know how all this goes ;)

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)