[Question #77030]: very slow file copying[1.0 MB/s] in ubuntu 9.04

this is a great disappointing using 9.04..the file copy is too slow[1.0 MB/s]..i am using hp pavilion dv6- 1122tx laptop having 320gb sata harddisk[internal].the actual problem is that when i connected a external harddisk [sata][ntfs partition] to my laptop via a external casing and while transfering files it took too much time.i replace an other harddisk[ntfs partition] and that too did`nt work[still slow file transfer].i tried for various solution on forums but none of them really helped me[installed flextk no use].
.i did`nt face this problem in 8.04 or 8.10..is there any fix for this problem? i like ubuntu very much..but how come there is such a bug in basic file transfer..