Re: [Question #76654]: gdm refuses to start

Tom proposed the following answer:
If Vista has stopped being temperamental then it might be worth trying a different version of linux to see if something other than Ubuntu works.  I would try sliTaz and Wolvix because they are both very small and should make a good cd - also they are from different families so we might have more chance of one of them working if Ubuntu didn't
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wolvix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slitaz
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix

Also this guide gives some advice on making a cd, although this is an Ubuntu guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
although it does sound like you are getting this bit right :) In fact it's hard to see what you're doing wrong.  Hopefully trying one of these other distros will flag up what's going wrong.  Knoppix is good as a LiveCd and has really advanced hardware detection but Wolvix covers slightly different hardware.  I would be surprised f neither of these work.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)