[Question #77048]: karmic 2.6.31-2 and -3 lid closing blacks screen until reboot on thinkpad r52

IBM Thinkpad R52 1859 karmic upgraded from jaunty and again to latest july 15 4am est (alpha 2?)

Regardless of the power management setting for what to do on lid close (tried Blank Screen and Do Nothing), the screen stays black on lid open. It seems to come on, but it stays black. I was able to reboot with Ctrl+Alt+F1 then ctrl+alt+delete. It doesn't seem like the OS froze, just the display is black. Fine again after a reboot.

If I switch to my old jaunty .29 kernel on boot, it doesn't happen.
Could it be an issue in "DeviceKit-power" or "udev-extras"?