[Question #77079]: Matrox g400 & Ubuntu 9.04

I am brand new to Linux,/Ubuntu. I'm not a "deep in the bits" techie. I installed Ubuntu on a year 2000 IBM E-series workstation with a Matrox G400 but can't get past 800x600. I've tried downloading their most recent driver, no good. Got an error saying it's not compatible with x server. I don't know what all this is, but need some guidance. I'd love to switch from Windows if possible and get this old machine usable. Appreciate any help.

Thanks.