[Question #77093]: How do I manage the trusted (root) certificates?

New question #77093 on empathy in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+question/77093

I've got my own certificate installed on my jabber/xmpp server. However, this certificate isn't signed by one of the blessed CAs (instead I've got my own CA). How can I add a server certificate or CA (root) certificate to the trusted list?