[Question #77178]: "Unable to detect file system..." What to do?

Hi!
After one of my friends suggested that I should try Ubuntu I downloaded the iso. file and burned it to a disc. Already at the beginning it caused problems - at first it froze in the boot menu after I chose language. I finally managed to install it alongside my Windows XP and I really started to enjoy Ubuntu. A couple of days ago I decided to make a full installation and delete windows but when i reached 60% of the installation it reported an error and cancelled the whole thing. "No root file system is defined" is the error - so I tried using Gparted to format the harddrive and obviously define it. But here I get another error:
"Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:
 - The file system is damaged
 - The file system is unknown to Gparted
 - There is no file system available"
Have i chosen the right way to try to solve the problem in the first place. If yes, how do I proceed from here?
Right now I'm stuck here with no Windows, no Ubuntu and no computer skills... Please help! :)

Mattias