[Question #77279]: Foreign Characters appear when i type my user name on login

I bought a mesh computer recently which comes with ubuntu 8.10, i used the upgrade manager which upgraded me to 9.04. but since the up grade my keyboard (have tried both wireless and wired) seems to type in arabic, as such i cant log on to unbuntu since it wont recognise my username and password. also when i manage to get to a command prompt style screen, it will also write in arabic. I have been told that i need to use the knoppix cd and mount the partition and edit the xorg.conf file, but i try this typing sudo nano usr/X11R6/bin/X11/xorg.conf but it just opens a terminal application which states its a new file with out any contents in it. what am i doing wrong? any ideas?