[Question #77321]: Ubuntu 8.10 LIVE

I am new to Ubuntu. I am running Windows Vista. I have the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition CD. The cover says that I can try Ubuntu by putting the CD in the drive and restarting. I do that and the Ubuntu screen loads from which I select the option to try Ubuntu without making changes to my computer. It then shows the Ubuntu orange status bar which goes full and then the screen goes blank and only a frozen blurry white image (probably the mouse arrow) remains at the center of the screen. The PC becomes quiet and the CD drive becomes quiet and it hangs like that. I have really been trying to test Ubuntu for a long time now. A while back when I tried using the Live CD for version 5.04, an error would appear about the mouse driver not being found... I wonder if that is the same problem version 8.10 is having. I posted the question here when I tried the Live of 5.04 but I got no reply... Please help me... I am using a Microsoft USB mouse.