[Question #77331]: Network Manager Icon Gone

I'm running Intrepid Ibex.

A while back I accidentally deleted the Network Manager Icon on the upper right corner of GNOME, and haven't been able to get it back.

I've looked in many different launchpad/Ubuntu help blogs, and I decided that I could reinstall Network Manager (NM) through the Add/Remove icon in "Applications", restart the computer, and it would appear.  Not the case!

Then I tried to initialize it from the command line

"david@david-laptop:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
[sudo] password for david:
 * Starting NetworkManager...                                            [fail]"

I then tried logging in from a guest session, and the icon doesn't appear there either.

Then I read that the manager doesn't appear when there is an ethernet connect, which I'm using now, so I disconnected that.  No NM icon showed.  Then I tried restarting without the ethernet connection.  No dice.

There is another piece of advice I saw that tells me to delete etc/network/interfaces, and I tried deleting that, but it wouldn't let me.  So I went back into the terminal to log in as root, and it still said

"You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

I am no big fan of wireless, I've had a lot of problems with it over the years, but wireless is, unfortunately, a necessity nowadays.

It seems like such a trivial problem but it is seriously disabling.

I've posted this problem several times on Ubuntu Support, but gotten no answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!