Re: [Question #77276]: startup frozen after upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10

Vihar proposed the following answer:
Hello,
As far as I can deduce you upgraded 8.04 to 8.10 through the net. This not always gives satisfactory results.

The last line of this 5 options is testing the RAM, it is not often
needed.

The first is the normal booting with the last updated kernel.

The second line is the recovery mode which we are discussing. You should
first choose it. When you enter it several options are availible. It's
good may be to start from the option of checking the file system and
when it's done to continue with the others up. One among them should be
to try to repair graphical problems.

If that doesn't work try to load with the fourth line. It is the same
kernel but probably with different hardware configuration, probably like
the one you had in your 8.04. The first kernel should be with
automatically set configuration created during upgrading.

And if that daesn't work too may be consider clean installation of
Ubuntu from the LiveCD.

Good luck, Grayl.