Re: [Question #77276]: startup frozen after upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10

Vihar proposed the following answer:
So stupid I am, we should describe how to edit GRUB.

When those five options appear after BIOS loading don't choose anyone of
them but just press the key "e". This should enter you to the editing of
grub. Be sure to read everything on the screen. Be carefull what you do,
think twice because here's no "Undo" option.

After pressing "e" you have some lines one of them starting with "kernel". Edit it according to the guide on the screen. Damiano Venturin suggests you erase the word "splash" there.
 Remember you can always safely go back by Escape if you didn't change anything.