Re: [Question #77355]: Error 11:Un recognised......

Tom proposed the following answer:
Ok, the sda numbers are made in chronological order, when they were made
rather than where they are on the drive.  It looks as though they are
laid out sda1, sda2 and sda2 contains sda5, a gap, sda6, sda8, sda9,
sda7.  The important thing is that sda8 is where most of Ubuntu is and
that sda9 is there - sda9 is good for performance :) When you go up to
the top taskbar and click on

System - Administration

can you see "Partition Editor" there?  If it is there be careful of it -
it can delete or create partitions quite fast so just avoid clicking on
the "Apply" button in there unless you are sure that you know what it's
going to do otherwise you could lose a lot of data very fast.  If you
can't see it there that's fine we can add it later if needed.

Please get back to a terminal console and type in

cd /boot/grub

gedit menu.lst

and copy all the lines at the end that don't start with a # into here.
We say that lines starting with a # are "commented out" because the
machine doesn't read them, so it's a good way of being able to leave
notes to each other without the machine trying to run them as commands.
So if you could copy all the lines that aren't commented out into here
(preferably just the ones at the end of the file) then we could see what
it's trying to do when it's booting up :)

Good luck and regards again from
Tom :)