Re: [Question #77443]: GRUB Error 18 - URGENT HELP PLEASE

Ashwin Mathur is still having a problem:
Hi Tom,

Much appreciate your response.

Well yes at first I used that option "Try Ubuntu without changes to this
machne" and then when i thought that I am pretty satisfied with what I
want from Ubuntu, thats when i actually installed Ubuntu 9.04 from the
CD. It installed fine but when I rebooted my laptop it does not boot up
Ubuntu or Win XP and strainght away shows GRUB Error 18 in the black
window (like the DOS prompt of XP). It does not let me go further than
this. All I can do at this stage is press the power button, all other
buttons dont work and give a beeeep sound!

When i reboot the system, while booting up if i press F12 then it asks
me which source to boot from. It gives me 2 options (1). Internal HDD
and (2). CD/DVD. When I select InternalHDD it goes back to the GRUB
Error 18 screen and when I select the second option CD/DVD and insert
the Ubuntu 9.04 CD it shows me the working desktop and I can see all my
Windows XP files, folders and drives(C, E and F).

Please let me know how to rectify this issue and like I said i am a
newbie to computers, please let me know a step-by-step resolution to the
issue.

Anyh help will be welcome!

Thanks.
Ashwin.