[Question #77457]: Changed all file permissions/ownerships to root

Hi everyone,

It seems like I have got myself into a huge problem. While following another thread on changing the ownership of a USB hard drive from root, I seem to have either changed the file permissions or ownerships of all the files on my system.

I would simply do a clean install, but I had backed up all the data on my USB hard drive to my PC to format the drive to NTFS. I changed all the permissions before copying them back onto the USB drive. I really do not want to lose all the data.

If its easier to mount the drive from recovery mode and copy the files I will do that, otherwise is there any way to undo the damage I have done?

Hope you can help, thanks in advance!